Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Greek Fest 2011

There is no shortage of festivals in New Orleans: French Quarter Festival, New Orleans Seafood Festival, Oktoberfest, Treme Creole Gumbo Festival, Voodoo Fest, and of course, Mardi Gras. There is always something to celebrate in this city.  Last weekend, my boyfriend and I went to Bayou Boogaloo, a smaller, less expensive version of Jazzfest.  I would have posted a separate blog, some of the crafts were pretty neat.  I, however, not only forgot to bring my camera but I also came down with a slight case of heatstroke after about an hour at the festival.  Thus, my memories are a bit on the fuzzy side.

Not to worry, though. If you miss documenting one festival, chances are there is another one right around the corner.  Case in point: Greek Fest.


One of the primary draws of the festival is the food.  I tried the fried calamari, the 'feta fries' (basically fries topped with feta), and the baklava sundae.  My boyfriend had the Greek dinner plate complete with tiropita, spanakopita, pastitsio, meatballs, and a Greek salad with dolma (stuffed grape leaves).  My boyfriend's brother tried the souvlaki.

As far as the crafts are concerned, the selection was pretty small.  There are some good finds though; my boyfriend's sister picked out a lovely pair of earrings for me as a birthday gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment