Sunday, June 12, 2011

Coffee Filter Gladioli


These gladioli are the result of yet another coffee filter flower experiment. They are very simple to make if not slightly time consuming.  The basic components are coffee filters, floral tape, floral wire, and watercolor paints. 


To form the buds of the plant, I bunched up a small piece of scrap filter paper (2). After wrapping floral tape around the base of the pinched paper (3), I attached it to a 12 inch long piece of 16 gauge floral wire. Several more buds, made in a similar manner, were then attached to the wire in an alternating pattern (4).  The amount of exposed paper in the buds should gradually increase as one continues down the wire.


In order to make the flowers, I needed to cut out several circles of filter paper. I freehanded the designs, cutting wavy edges around the perimeter of the circles (6).  The circles ranged from around 1.5-2 inches in diameter. After layering two of the circles, a piece of 26 gauge wire was looped through the middle of the circles (7). The circles were then pinched around the wire and one of the ends was wrapped around the base of the flower (8).  Floral tape was wrapped around the exposed wire (9) completing the rudimentary flower. Next, I attached the flowers in increasing size in the same alternating pattern as before (10 & 11).


Paint the petals of the flowers and the buds with watercolor paints in hues of red, orange, and yellow. And you're finished, a fresh bouquet of coffee filter gladioli of your very own!

12 comments:

  1. Looking awesome, you should post the irises soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I love this idea! I linked it up on my blog today, come check it out! http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/07/coffee-filter-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are looking beautiful..thanks for sharing these gorgeous coffee filter gladioli... Baltimore Plumbing Services

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfectly Beauty! I will try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm making paper flowers for my wedding and these are perfect! so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Your work is so creative - takes paper flowers to almost impossible places. Is it OK if I post your photo of the Glads with credit and a link to you here - My page is a hubpage

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this article. I think You put a great deal of exertion to make this article. I like your work. paper rater

    ReplyDelete
  9. One day I was bored and I was thinking I would like to do something with my hands. I tried to made Coffee Filter Gladioli yesterday and it was pretty good. You can use best plagiarism checker for verifying your unique text on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely the best in instructions for making them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, I am waiting for the irises, my favorite garden flower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are BEAUTIFUL! I plan on making some very soon. Welcome Spring!

    ReplyDelete